Financial help - Den Haag Mantelzorg

Financial help

Money is an important topic for many carers. Your own income may be lower as you have to work less when caring for someone else. It is good to know whether you are entitled to a reimbursement and what other financial possibilities there are. You may be able to get some of the costs you incur as carer reimbursed too. On this page, you will find more information about reimbursements and money matters.

Are you caring for someone who lives in an area where you have to park for a fee? As a carer you can park for free in your loved one’s neighbourhood. The person has to apply for the parking permit for your car and pays the statutory fee once (€ 14.70). With this permit you also get more parking hours than with a regular visitor’s parking permit. Apply for a parking permit here

Deductible expenses care recipient
Carers often spend money when caring for their loved ones. Some expenses may seem trivial, but when you take everything into account, the costs can really add up. This may include costs for travel and transport, extra childcare, telephone calls or money spent on washing powder, for example. For these expenses, the Tax Office uses the term ‘care costs’. As a carer, you cannot deduct care costs from your own taxes. But the person you care for may be able to. In doing so, you can recover the costs from the person you look after. Find more information about care costs from the Tax Office.

Double child benefit for caring for a child at home
Does your child live at home and require intensive care? Then you are entitled to double child benefit if your child is between 3 and 18 years old. Find more information about double child benefit.

Personal budget (pgb)
Does your next of kin require a lot of care? Then they can apply for a personal budget (PGB). This budget can be used to cover intensive care, nursing costs or assistance aids. Your next of kin can decide who will provide the care. You, as a carer, can be designated as care provider. In which case, you can be paid from the personal budget. There are four different budgets from different governmental laws. So the PGB for people with long-term care, such as a chronic illness, is regulated differently than a personal budget for children. The PGB application for each law has to be requested via a different service point. Find more information at the MantelzorgNL website.

A personal budget (PGB) is essentially an amount those in need of care can use to purchase help for themselves. Paying a carer out of the PGB does come with a number of conditions:

  • The carer must provide the care for which the PGB is intended.
  • The carer and care recipient have to document the agreements in a care contract. Even if they are related to each other.

The SVB has compulsory care contracts ( These are the contracts you have to use. explains what carers need to do if they want to provide PGB care for a next of kin.

Reimbursement for power of attorney

If you are authorised to make decisions regarding financial matters, medical treatments and the personal wishes of your loved one, then you are an ‘attorney’. This is often documented in a living will. It states what your loved one wants while still alive and who is allowed to make decisions about money and treatments. A living will is drawn up by a notary. Once you are officially authorised with power of attorney, you may be reimbursed for all the work involved. This is also stated in the living will. This could include travel expenses and other costs incurred. Find more information here.