Help with mental health problems and addiction - Den Haag Mantelzorg

Help with mental health problems and addiction

Mental health problems, such as depression, anxiety, burn-out, eating disorders or addiction are not only difficult for the person who has them. They are also tough on you as a carer. You have to provide care all the time and the behaviour of your loved one is often unpredictable. This changes the relationship between you and the person you are caring for. This can cause feelings of helplessness and sadness. Carers who look after people with mental health problems may themselves suffer physical and mental health problems and feel lonely. You are not alone. There are organisations in The Hague that will be happy to help you.

Kompassie support centre

Kompassie is the independent support centre for mental health in The Hague. They can help both you and your loved one. Kompassie offers support in the form of a sympathetic ear, guidance, information, advice and information events. The support is provided by Kompassie’s experienced family coaches. It doesn’t matter if your next of kin is under the treatment of the GGZ or not. The support is free of charge and there are no waiting lists. Find more information at the Kompassie website.

Parnassia family coach

Parnassia’s family coaches offer a sympathetic ear and direct, practical support. The goal is for carers and patients to maintain a good relationship. Find more information at the Parnassia website.

For children and young people

Are you growing up with a family member (father or mother) who has mental health problems or an addiction? This can be tough. You may feel a responsibility to take care of your family member and at the same time experience feelings of shame, guilt, sadness, loneliness, helplessness or anger. How can you cope? For online information and support, visit Kopstoring.
Would you prefer to meet up in person with other young people in your situation or receive personal support in The Hague? Then visit
Your teacher, mentor, school social worker or someone you trust may be able to offer a sympathetic ear too. They can help refer you to the right support service.

Patient associations and next of kin organisations

Visit the Mind-atlas of Wij zijn MIND. You will find associations that can offer you support, acknowledgement, information and contact with those in a similar situation. Your loved one’s practitioner or Kompassie can also tell you more.

Your loved one’s practitioner

Do you have questions or have you encountered limits in your loved one’s care? In some cases, you may be able to contact the practitioner. The practitioner will, however, take into account the privacy and confidentiality of your loved one.

Familievertrouwenspersoon (LSFVP) (Family Counsellor)

In situations where you, as a next of kin, are unable to resolve the issue with the practitioner or they do not respond, you can contact a Familievertrouwenspersoon (LSFVP) for advice and mediation.

Drug addiction

In cases of drug addiction, you can find more information at the drugsinfo website. As a next of kin, you can also contact Stichting Naast for help, advice and support.